How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13317
Experience:  30 years experience
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a teacher in Thailand under annual contract of employment.

Resolved Question:

I am a teacher in Thailand under annual contract of employment. My current contract expires on 31st August 2013. I have signed another contract that begins on 1st September 2013 but I have decided that I no longer wish to come back. I have already given them four months notice and told them that I am not coming back but they say I cannot resign until the contract starts and then I have to give four months notice. Because the contract has not yet started am I obligated to start work again in September or can I just walk out? I am suffering from stress because I am being bullied at work by my boss and I don't want to go back. Help ! Jane
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Is your contract governed by Thai law or uk law ? where is your employer based?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The contract does not say which jurisdiction but I presume it is Thai law since the employer is St Andrews International School in Rayong Thailand. St Andrews schools are owned by Cognita UK a UK based company.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Ok Well I am not a Thai lawyer but both common sense and normal principles of contract suggest they are talking nonsense. If a contract is terminable on notice then you can serve it now. Further as these are employment contracts if you terminate the existing one it would be ridiculous to suggest you are bound by a subsequent one. I would tell them you are not returning and you have given appropriate notice and the matte is closed. No uk court would entertain a claim for damages in such circumstances.

You may have a problem with a reference however?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your clarification.
Yes, the Head refuses to give me a reference but his is not the end of the world.

I read that in the US 'the law in almost all states provides that, generally speaking, if neither party to a contract has begun to perform its obligations, either of the parties can back out of the deal'. Is this also true in the UK?


Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
No not necessarily . If the contract is binding you cannot just back. It would depend on the nature of the contract but certainly there is no overriding principle. It would however impact on damages. I certainly do not think any claim could be made against you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Head has said that I could 'buy my way out of the contract' for next year. What do you think he means by that?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like he is trying to bully you into paying them something to release you but it is nonsense. If you have given them plenty of time to hire a replacement they have no recourse against you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think I have a case for unfair constructive dismissal because of the proven harassment against me?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but that is a completely different question. It may well be but in the UK it is difficult to show constructive dismissal form a course of conduct at least until you have exhausted grievance procedures. You have to show a complete breakdown in relationship.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13317
Experience: 30 years experience
Senior Partner and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert in UK Employment Law
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert in UK Employment Law
  • Jenny McKenzie's Avatar

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor