UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
62162956

I work as a nurse. I handed my notice in on the 10th/3/13.

Customer Question

I work as a nurse. I handed my notice in on the 10th/3/13. The following day my manger rang me at home and told me that the senior nurse had accepted my notice, but they had received a complaint that i verbally abused a patient and wanted me to make a statement. The complaint was about a patient who i nursed 4 months ago. i was on night duty in charge of a ward. Smelled smoke. It was coming from toilets. On entering toilets smoke was concerntrated in toilets. There was a toilet door locked. I knocked the door and said to the occupant if you are smoking can you pleas stop. There was no reply. I knocked again said the same thing and said its against hospital policy and there is a risk of explosion due to the piped oxygen on the ward.it was a risk to other patients. the patient replied that he was not smoking. I looked around the ward to see if it could be coming from elsewhere, which it hadnt..when the patient returned to his bed i asked me if he had been smoking in the toilet which he replied he had not smoked for 3 years. He seemed embarrased and upset and asked me to leave him alone.
His wife then shouted at a nurse who was on duty the folowing day and said she would will be suing the hospital.
my problem is i will be starting a new job end of april. i havent signed my contract yet. Where do i stand having given my notice in
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.

from what you say, you have not done anything wrong. You simply asked the patient to stop smoking and if it were them smoking.

There should be no legal implication for you and you should simply state as much when making your statement.

You have already handed in your notice and cannot be stopped from leaving your current job.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

thankyou for your reply.I have done nothing wrong but am worried because the complaint is talking of suing . could my current/future employer suspend me or what happens if i start a new job and have to be suspended during court proceedings as this is what normally happens when a case goes to court. Who would pay me? Do i need to retract my resignation or just continue with my new job.

i am sorry for the multiple questions.

I would not worry about the threat of being sued, it seems to be an empty threat with no legal basis and it is unlikely that the matter will end up in court.

You may carry on with your new job if that is what you want.

The threat of being sued should not affect your new job.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: solicitor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.