Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My son was just refused entry into the UK at the airport and

My son was just refused entry into the UK at the airport and is being returned to Toronto now. He wants to immediately get on a flight to a EU country (possibly Spain, etc) so his girlfriend, who lives and works in the UK, can visit. Is there a shared computer between the UK and EU and is he likely to be refused if he does this? What should he do? Can I call and speak to someone in your office? Should I try to find an immigration lawyer in Toronto? Thanks
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What were the reasons for the refusal of entry please?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No information about the reasons. He is Canadian and has had three visitor visa's and been living in London for over a year - off and on. The last time he entered from Poland, after visiting a concert, immigration told him they would let him in this time but he really should have had a bank statement, etc. He has a Polish girlfriend living and working in London. He came home to visit over Christmas with a round trip ticket and when he tried to enter the UK, he was detained. When asked, he told authorities he didn't have a girlfriend. They called his uncle who lives in Ascot and he told them he did have a girlfriend - so I'm sure they weren't impressed with different stories. He had a letter from his employer saying he had secure employment but was on a leave of absence. He also had a letter from the bank.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

The UK and other countries in the EU do share information. It is probable that if he attempted to enter another EU country that they would know of the refusal of entry clearance here in the UK.

He appears to have been refused entry on the grounds that they consider he might be likely to breach the immigration rules or that he deceived them. Simply being refused entry is not sufficient grounds to refuse entry again. However, if it is clear from the reasons of the refusal of entry that the reasons were justified (eg. Deception) then this can be used as a reason to refuse further visas,.

I would strongly advise that instead of flying to a new country he firsts applies for a visa to enter that country. If he does not then he risks being returned again and having a clear track record of attempting to enter countries in which the relevant immigration authority have suspicions. Being rejected from one is not unsual, but if a pattern builds then this can severely hinder him in the future.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. Can you email me your answer so I can share it with him?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Yes,that's fine but please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor