UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
62162956

My retirement date is january 2016. My birth date is 4 march

My retirement date is january 2016. My birth date is 4 march 1953. I was married in 1974 and as I have always been self employed was advised by my then accountant that I did not need to pay NIC class 2. I was divorced in 1994 but didn't realise until 2009 that I should have been paying contributions. I have been paying since then plus 'back paid' 6 years aswell. I was told that i could probably use my ex husbands contributions as long as I didn't re marry. With the new pension starting in 2017 I am concerned as to where I stand. Thankyou, Karen.

You will reach your state pension age on 6th January 2016.

As long as you don't remarry before this date, you can claim using your ex husband's contributions as well for the time you were married.

I suggest you use this calculator to see how much pension you will be entited to:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-statement

You do not need to worry about the 2017 changes as you wil have reached your state pension age before then.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I right in thinking that I will get for eg 15 years on my NIC payments and eg 19 years ex husbands NICs added together , to make up a full pension.

Correct.