joannem1965
joannem1965, Advocate
Experience:  LLB (Hons), LPC
12804206

i have been invited to a meeting to discuss possible disciplinary

i have been invited to a meeting to discuss possible disciplinary action with regards XXXXX XXXXX following allagations -
attmitting to grossley legligent act resuslting in damage to a customers car and loss of money to company.
gross incompetence resulting in serious or potentially serious consequences.

breifly i carried out a oil change incorrectly causing £3088.61 worth of damage. I was notn informed by the company of the update on procedure on how to carry out this job, so carried it out correctly as far as i was aware.

how do i need to be prepeared when going intothis meeting ?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

How long have you been there?

So the policy had changed but you had not been retrained?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

been with the company 3 years, the procedure had changed since i last carried it out as it was about 2 years ago that i last did one. We don't get retrained as such most thing like this is done by word of mouth but working on a different site to the main workshop you wouldn't have know and don't always get informed.Smile

Are you meant to check a process before it is carried out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is access to the online manual but thought i was doing the job correctly as done before so didn't check.
Are you required to check each time before you carry it out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
So the company does not expect you to check?

How do you know if something has changed?

I know what usually happens but what is company policy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you just expected to know that something has changed and are not told about the updates. it's usually word of mouth from other technicians.
If you don't know how something is done then that is when you look it up.
ok. And the company has no policy on updating or anything?

So how are you expected to know about changes?

On what basis are they saying you have breached the rules?

Ie by not following..............?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No policy on this and you just don't get told like i said you are expected to know. Its not a breach of rules they are saying gross negligence.

the possible outcome could be instant dismissal, do you think there would be grounds for this..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there your main defence here's going to be your employer not telling you of the updates to the policy. If they've got a policy about the steps you're supposed to follow to make the repairs they'll need to keep you updated of any changes to make sure you're doing your job properly. You've said that you're usually told of any changes by word of mouth but that's not a proper way of informing employees and there's actually no guarantee that all employees are going to be informed of any changes as word of mouth largely relies on chance. So facing a disciplinary for something you weren't told has changed is likely to be unfair. You've not been told you're facing disciplinary action yet so it's not certain it'll get to that stage but at this meeting you'll really need to push through the message that you've been treated unfairly by not being officially told of the updated policy and that word of mouth is not a reliable way of keeping the workforce updated. If you're taken to a disciplinary you'll be able to appeal whatever decision they take. I'd hope this doesn't end in dismissal but if it does then the tribunal's an option if you wanted to challenge it later on. Good luck

joannem1965, Advocate
Experience: LLB (Hons), LPC