John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor and Advocate

Hi, My father has just died and im contract states im entitled

Hi, My father has just died and im contract states im entitled to 5 days, my partner who works for the same company has been told he's only entitled to 1 day?? surely its 5 days to?

I will do my best to help you with this.

It will depend on what the terms of your respective employment contracts say. Do you have them to hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, "the co will provide a maximum of 5 days when the breaves is a child, parent, partner or step child. Where the breavement involves either a grandparent, aunt, uncle or other direct relative a maximum of 1 day will be provided"

Thats the exact wording in the employee book handbook.

As it is your father who has passed away, you will be entitled to five days maximum. Unfortunately, your partner has not lost his direct parent but his father-in-law. That would fall under the category 'other direct relative' in the handbook and only entitle him to 1 day.

Sorry I can't give you better news.

Best wishes