UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
62162956

I am currently training new night porters in the hotel trade,

I am currently training new night porters in the hotel trade, and need know the legal responsibilities that they would be expected to know with regards to:

1) Dealing with guest injuries or medical conditions before an ambulance arrived.
- What responsibilities the individual on duty would have if his Management sent him/her on a task that required him/her to be "out of contact" for long periods. Also where the border lay for negligence with regards XXXXX XXXXX injury occuring as a result of not being at their post.

2) Legal requirements on fire and evacuation
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I have found the material I need for The second question, but am aware that there are some laws under review for the first question. I effectively have until sunday night before my training is supposed to be completed.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

In response to your first query, there are both common law duties of care and statutory (Occupiers Liability Act 1957) duty of care owed to guests.

If the guest injuries were caused due to the hotel's fault, the hotel owner's would be liable. The law is complicated and explained nicely here: http://www.39essex.com/docs/articles/article_-_duty_of_care_-_piba_-2502.pdf

There is no obligation as such to provide first aid to members of the public (the duty is owed to employees, not guests), but the above duty of care would apply. Therefore no requirement to do anything before the ambulance arrives.

See here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg214.pdf

Hope this helps -please leave feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can an employer enforce dismissal on an employee due to the fact that they have to maintain responsibility for an incidence of negligence/assumption of responsibility, even if it was under their own instruction? Or would such a move be considered as open to unfair dismissal claims?

If the employee was following the employer's training and instructions, the dismissal would probably be unfair.

All the best-please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: solicitor