How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Withholding of salary (100%) for three months.... (UK)

This answer was rated:

Hi, I hope you can help out here. I am from the UK, work for a UK company, with a UK contract, but have worked remotely from various locations overseas for the last 3 years. They have been paying me into my personal overseas bank account, along with any payments to pay suppliers. One payment made in the middle of this year has been withheld by my bank, as there have been a large amount of funds going into my personal account through much of the year. The reason for this is that where I pay tax (Taiwan), tax is paid once a year based on salary and as my resident permit was up for renewal, they are withholding this so that tax on the higher amount (including salary and company payments - this is personal tax, crazy!) is definitely paid without me skipping the country. The funds will be released once I supply them with a tax certificate (in January) showing that I have paid the tax. As this resulted in a couple of suppliers going unpaid, my company has now paid them directly. However, at the same time, they have said that they are recouping these funds (about GBP 10,000) by withholding my entire salary for the next 3 months. This was pretty bad news, as my salary is due next week and I have my own payments to make. Before they said that they will withhold my salary, I reminded them that funds in my bank would be released in January, so I would be able to reimburse them then, directly. In fact, I spoke to my bank this morning and they would be happy to lend me the money to pay the company back if they need to withhold the money (if the tax certificate is delayed) further than the end of January. Because I have offered to pay them back and given them a timescale to do so in, are they legally able to withhold 100% of my salary? I'm pretty sure that this is covered by the ERA 1996 - I know they can withhold monies for overpayment, but in this case it was not an overpayment (until their paying out again this month) and I had previously offered to reimburse them within a given timeframe. I have also read somewhere that employer cannot withhold 100% of a salary, as they are not allowed to reduce the payment to below the minimum wage? If someone could offer some advice, that would be most appreciated, as I need to write and convince them to pay me over the weekend! Thanks!


You are quite correct, even with your express permission, your employer cannot make make deductions from your wages if they go below the national minimum wage (NMW).

So, your employer must pay you at least the equivalent of the NMW, they cannot simply pay you nothing for the next 3 months, even if you were to consent to them paying you nothing.

Your proposition seems very reasonable i.e. you paying them back if they have to clear your tax affairs for you if you have not cleared them.

S. 13 of the ERA 1996 normally prohibits deductions from wages unless they are authorised by statute or contract or where the worker has consented to the deduction.

See here:

Hope this helps-please leave feedback

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.


So because I have made a 'very reasonable' proposal, they should not be deducting wages? If I was to take this further (i.e. go to a tribunal), would the fact that I've made this offer be taken in to account? I have all the emails documenting this.


Many thanks for your help and kind assistance.

The question would be are they allowed to make the deduction or not.

If not, then they cannot do so.

If they can make the deduction, then they are allowed to reject your proposal, however reasonable it may be, subject to the NMW rules.

But in the ineterests of good order, they should accept your proposal nevertheless but that may be a moral argument rather than a legal one.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: solicitor
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Jenny McKenzie's Avatar

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)