UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
62162956

what are the legal requirements for a vending machine busi

what are the legal requirements for a vending machine business?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to start as an intermediary between vending machine suppliers and local gyms in London.

I would like to rent vending machines from established companies in London and install them in some leisure/sports centre.

I will pay a rent for the vending machines (including warranty) and for the space taken in the gym. But I will be the one looking after the stocks and taking the money deposited into the machines.

I am starting very small (1 to 3 machines) and I do not know how it works legally: do I operate as a sole trader, do I need a license, how does it work regarding tax, etc.

Thank you.

Thank you,

You do not need a licence to do what you are proposing to do.

I would suggest you look into obtaining Public liability cover, speak to a broker or insurer about this.

As far as the structure of the business is concerned, you may operate as a sole trader or limited company, a sole trader may be suitable for you to start off with, see here for more information on this including your tax and national insurance obligations:
https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Last thing: if I own the vending machines (instead of renting them from an established company), does it change anything?

No, it doesn't change anything.

All the best-please leave feedback