UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor

I am leaving my current job, where I have been working for

I am leaving my current job, where I have been working for just over 8 years. My contrcat states that I have to give 4 weeks notice. If I give them 7 weeks notice can they make me leave after the 4 weeks notice period? Thanking you in anticipation Jane McCallion
Hello Jane,

What does the notice clause say exactly? Please set it out here in full.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Length Of Notice,

From Employee: Four Weeks (Me)

From Employer : One week per completed year of service with a minimum of four and a maximum of tweleve

In that case you should give 4 weeks notice as stated, not 7 weeks.

They could make you leave after 4 weeks or they may say your notice is invalid as it is not 4 weeks.

If you wish to leave after 7 weeks, I suggest you wait for another 3 weeks and then give notice.

All the best -please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would just like to give them a longer notice period, so that they have more time to find a replacment. I am a sales manager and will be going to a competitor does that make any differance?

What you are saying is very reasonable.

If the company accepts your resignation, then fine. You may wish to discuss informally with HR or your supervisor first about this and whether they will be okay with 7 weeks notice.

The fact that you are moving to a competitor has no bearing on your notice period.

Please leave feedback