UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor

I am a Director in a college and a member of staff spoke to

I am a Director in a college and a member of staff spoke to me about an allegation that the Managing Director attacked him (entering his personal space several times and swearing, behaving in an aggressive manner, despite being asked by the employee to step back as he felt very threatened). After discussing i referred him to the company grievance procedure/policy. He said he did not wish to make this a formal complaint.

3 months later he is now trying to pursue this and the MD has also placed me under investigation for breaking company policy! (reading the company policy it makes note to all grievances (formal & Informal should be reported?) I have in an e-mail at the time that the staff in mention did not wish to make this a formal complaint? I understand i should perhaps have reported this but as the employee said he did not wish this to go further where do i stand legally?

I am afraid it looks like you may have violated the company policy.

You were obliged to make a note of the grievance (irrespective of whether or not the employee wished to pursue it further).

You are therefore being rightly investigated.

However, I do not see what action may be taken against you other than perhaps a warning.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback