Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Hello Ive been working for a company called Addison lee as

Customer Question

Hello I've been working for a company called Addison lee as self employed driver. I reasonly heard that 10 of the driver approach HMRC about tax return and notifiy customs that they were not self employed because
1 was that they had to wear they uniform
2 any job that given to they had to do
3 they had to log on before 7:30am and do a mimuim of 12 hours
4 they had to use only there car and put in the own fuel in it
It there dont comply to this they would sack
Alleged Addison lee to pay of the 10 drivers the tax and national insurance to HMRC and also change the log in time as open shift
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please clarify what your question about this is?

JACUSTOMER-4zlbj7tj- : Hello I've been working for a company called Addison lee as self employed driver. I reasonly heard that 10 of the driver approach HMRC about tax return and notifiy customs that they were not self employed because 1 was that they had to wear they uniform 2 any job that given to they had to do3 they had to log on before 7:30am and do a mimuim of 12 hours4 they had to use only there car and put in the own fuel in itIt there dont comply to this they would sackAlleged Addison lee to pay of the 10 drivers the tax and national insurance to HMRC and also change the log in time as open shift
Ben Jones :

yes I understand but what are your specific questions over this please?

JACUSTOMER-4zlbj7tj- : Does it mean I'm not self employed and have genral employment or could I get my tax challenge
JACUSTOMER-4zlbj7tj- : Hello
Ben Jones :

Determining your employment status is not an easy task and there is no single test that can be used to do this. There are a number of factors taken into account and these have been the result of a number of court cases over the years. So at present the courts would use some of these to get an overall picture of your employment relationship and determine whether you are an employee or self employed.

The tests that are most commonly used can be found here:

www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/index.htm#1

These are just an indication though and remember that only a court can give you a definitive answer.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if you need any further help with your query. If you do not, I would be grateful if you could please press Accept before exiting, many thanks.