Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
60469748

if i work 16 to 18 hours per week can I get my rent paid by

Customer Question

if i work 16 to 18 hours per week can I get my rent paid by the state?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal :

Hi

Awan-Legal :

You may be entitled to housing benefit (pays your rent) if you are working less than 16 hours (18 hours is too much). This is paid by the local council and is designed to assists with rent payments where your landlord is the local council, private landlord or social housing association. It's income tested and designed for those on low incomes. As with council tax benefit, it doesn't matter if you're claiming other benefits or work full time, but savings of £16k or more will affect whether you're entitled to claim, and for how much. You can find out more by speaking to your Council or Social Security Office

Awan-Legal :

You can't usually get Housing Benefit if:

• you have savings of over £16,000, unless you are getting the 'guarantee credit' of Pension Credit

• you live in the home of a close relative

• you're a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)

• you're an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

Other restrictions

If you live with a partner or civil partner only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

If you're single and aged under 25 you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or one room in shared accommodation.

Awan-Legal :

I hope that answers your question. Please click accept on my answer so that I may be rewarded for my time, otherwise the amount will remain on this site. Thank you.

Awan-Legal :

Hi, do you have any further questions arising from the above? If not, please kindly click accept on my answer. Thank you.