Daniel Smith
Daniel Smith, Laywer
Experience:  JustAnswer
46922868

Can my employer change my contract What happens if i refuse

Can my employer change my contract? What happens if i refuse to sign a new contract - what options are there?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Daniel Smith replied 5 years ago.
It depends ...

They might have the power to change it according to the existing contract, in which case, you can't do much.

If no power to change it, then it might amount to breach of contract if they refuse to honour the existing contract, and if you've been there for 12+ months, it might also amount to constructive unfair dismissal if you're forced to resign as a consequence.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What would it say on the existing contract that will allow them to change an exisiting one? Normally changes to employment ie hours and pay have been done by a notice of amendment letter. What would be the wording on the existing contract which would allow them to change one at whim?

Many thanks.

It could say something along the lines of it incorporates what's in the company manual from time to time, which is common, or it could expressly reserve the right to change certain things, such as working hours or shift patterns.

Please press accept.