Jenny McKenzie
Jenny McKenzie,
Experience:  10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR

hi i have to attend mandatory training days at work but in

hi i have to attend mandatory training days at work but in my own time, am i supposed be being paid for this? also if i leave the company they say they will charge me for any training received?? i'm sure this can't be right! i am in the uk and work in a care home for the elderly.
How many training sessions have you had to attend - have you asked why you are not being paid for them?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have been on one four day course and every six months have to do approx 6 full or half day courses. the companies answers is that they are providing me with training for free (unless i leave) and i should be gratefull.
how long have you worked there for? what would happen if you did not attend?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
since november, if i didnt go i wouldn't have up to date health and safety ect and they wouldnt give me hours until i did have it. could they fire me for refusing to go if i weren't paid?

You have right to be paid to attend this training as it is mandatory. You should write a grievance to ask to be paid for it, if it is unpaid then you can claim at the tribunal for an unlawful deduction from wages using the form you will find at

Employers can ask for training fees to be repaid when an employee leaves, your employer appears to want its cake and eat it!

I would be grateful if you would press ACCEPT if you have found my answer useful. I will then leave the question open to answer your follow on questions for free.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats great thankyou. could you send me the link again as it did not work?