Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

We sacked a member of staff who had worked for us since january,

We sacked a member of staff who had worked for us since january, but only signed contract in may as we extended the trail period, had a meeting with her as a few things were not as we expected money missing, not owing up to mistakes though we could show it was her, I gave her a weeks money but asked her not to work as stated in contract sh is now talking about unfair dismissel where do we stand

Did you give notice or did you just give her money equal to a weeks wages and she accepted?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we wrote a letter explaining that we had dismissed her aand gave a week money as luie of notice, she accepted, then went onto facebook and wrote some very nasty things about us

...and what does contract say about notice periods and payment in lieu of notice?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
within the first year of work 1 weeks notice can be given by the employer it does not state payment in lieu

Okay, she's talking nonsense. An employee only generally accrues the right not to be unfairly dismissed after one year. Provided you have given her the correct notice period and not breached any other terms of her contract she will have no claim.

If you offered her payment in lieu noticed ( explained that to her) and she accepted

then this is not a breach of contract.

I would be astonished if anything else happened over this.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,