How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41774
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my employer unilaterally change some of my Terms and Conditions

Resolved Question:

Can my employer unilaterally change some of my Terms and Conditions of Employment for the worse?

For info, I am in full time employment in the UK, 12 years of continuous service. The employer wishes to implement changes to the provisions relating to overtime working, specifically, reducing the rate of pay for Sunday and Bank Holiday overtime from double time to time and a half, and introducing a 7.5 hour monthly threshold for all overtime, ie the first 7.5 hours overtime worked in any one month will not be paid.

Currently, there is no monthly threshold, so all overtime worked is paid, and Sunday and Bank Holiday overtime is paid at double time. this has been the case since May 2002.

Many thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.



just to confirm - these are contractual provisions, written in your contract? Also has your employer given any explanation as to the reason for the changes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, these provisions are set out in a document titled "Terms and Conditions of Employment" issued by my employer on 04/04/2002, and subsequently amended to include further guidance on 31/05/2002.

Explanations have varied from "The current arrangements are a longstanding mistake, and were never meant to be part of the Ts & Cs" to the "Desire to harmonise the Ts and Cs across the whole company"

The existing terms, which were implemented by my employer in 2002, were specifically designed to cater for the different requirements of the business sector in which my division of the company operates.

Many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Your employer can only change your contractual terms with your agreement or if it is allowed under your contract or a collective agreement you have entered into. If they try and change your terms without agreement, then that could amount to unilateral changes to your contract and, potentially, breach of contract.


If the changes are introduced forcefully then you have the following options:


1. Accept them, start working on the new terms and don't take the matter any further.


2. Start working on the new terms but making it clear to your employer (preferably in writing) that you are ‘working under protest'. This means that you do not agree to the changes but are only working them because you are forced to. In the meantime try and resolve the issue with your employer by informal discussions or through a formal grievance.


3. If Option 2 does not get you anywhere then you may wish to consider taking the final step and resigning without notice. If you do so, you would need to resign without undue delay so as not to give an impression that you had accepted the breach. Then you can claim constructive unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal. You would have to argue that your employer had committed a fundamental breach of contract and that you were left with no other option but to resign. Be aware though that you only have 3 months from the date you resign to submit your claim.


But in any case, your employer can legally introduce the changes if they give you sufficient notice to terminate your current contract and then re-employ you on a new contract, which incorporates the changes. Technically that would still be a dismissal so unless your employer can justify that there was a valid reason for the changes in the first place then you may have a case for unfair dismissal and you can make a claim in the same way in an employment tribunal.


Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then be free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.

Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 41774
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Ben Jones and other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Jenny McKenzie

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
< Last | Next >
  • Jenny McKenzie's Avatar

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years experience