How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Category: UK Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 40526
Experience:  Expert in UK Employment Law
Type Your UK Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My company has recently been acquired by another much larger

Resolved Question:

My company has recently been acquired by another much larger company. It has been announced that staff will either need to relocate from London to Cardiff (Wales) or be made redundant (as more than 20 staff involved, will be Collective Redundancy). I'm 57 years old and have been with the company over 5 years. I have a 1 to 1 meeting with the bosses next week, what sort of questions should I ask? Do they have to offer a relocation package? If so, is there a minimum value?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.



Do you wish to remain with this company and are you willing to relocate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The new company seems to be a good and exciting company to work for. I'd consider relocating if the package was right.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

Your employer does not have to offer you any compensation or relocation package. As far as they are concerned if you refuse to move then you could just claim redundancy instead. However, you can of course give them the impression that you are keen to remain working for them and that you see the move as an exciting opportunity but for financial reasons would only be prepared if you were offered a relocation package. that could include contributions towards legal fees for moving, moving expenses, temporary accommodation, etc.


But if your employer has offered you a relocation package and you unreasonably refuse to relocate, then you may lose your entitlement to redundancy pay.


In general you need to find out if they are willing to offer you compensation to move and also whether there will be a trial period in your new place.


Please press the ACCEPT button below if you found my advice useful. You will then be free to ask any follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also wanted an idea of the sort of question I should ask during my one to one meeting next week. The existing company has a habit of witholding important information and not telling the entire truth.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

You can ask the following questions:

  • reasons for relocation
  • timescale for whole process
  • alternatives apart from relocation
  • are they using any selection criteria
  • is everyone being offered the same option as you


However, your selection is slightly different because it doesn't appear that you are being scored against other employees, in which case you would have more questions to ask

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 40526
Experience: Expert in UK Employment Law
Ben Jones and 2 other UK Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert in UK Employment Law
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert in UK Employment Law
  • Jenny McKenzie's Avatar

    Jenny McKenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 Years of experience in Employment Law and HR
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Advocate
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB (Hons)
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor