Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

My company has recently been acquired by another much larger

My company has recently been acquired by another much larger company. It has been announced that staff will either need to relocate from London to Cardiff (Wales) or be made redundant (as more than 20 staff involved, will be Collective Redundancy). I'm 57 years old and have been with the company over 5 years. I have a 1 to 1 meeting with the bosses next week, what sort of questions should I ask? Do they have to offer a relocation package? If so, is there a minimum value?
Category: UK Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

Do you wish to remain with this company and are you willing to relocate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The new company seems to be a good and exciting company to work for. I'd consider relocating if the package was right.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

Your employer does not have to offer you any compensation or relocation package. As far as they are concerned if you refuse to move then you could just claim redundancy instead. However, you can of course give them the impression that you are keen to remain working for them and that you see the move as an exciting opportunity but for financial reasons would only be prepared if you were offered a relocation package. that could include contributions towards legal fees for moving, moving expenses, temporary accommodation, etc.

But if your employer has offered you a relocation package and you unreasonably refuse to relocate, then you may lose your entitlement to redundancy pay.

In general you need to find out if they are willing to offer you compensation to move and also whether there will be a trial period in your new place.

Please press the ACCEPT button below if you found my advice useful. You will then be free to ask any follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also wanted an idea of the sort of question I should ask during my one to one meeting next week. The existing company has a habit of witholding important information and not telling the entire truth.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 years ago.

You can ask the following questions:

• reasons for relocation
  • timescale for whole process
  • alternatives apart from relocation
  • are they using any selection criteria
  • is everyone being offered the same option as you

However, your selection is slightly different because it doesn't appear that you are being scored against other employees, in which case you would have more questions to ask