Neil, Engineer
Experience:  25 years of electronics experience, NZ Certificate of Engineering, Electronics and Computing.

I have an optima xl6 alarm. Following a power cut I am

Customer Question

I have an optima xl6 alarm. Following a power cut I am having problems to reset the alarm without having A CONTINUOUS BUZZ ON THE EXTERNAL SOUNDER. Please advise.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: OPTIMA XL6 - probably 10 to 15 yrs old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried to enter the code, pressed reset but the buzz still continues. I have had to isolate the unit by removing a fuse.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have moved into the house 5 yrs ago and have hardly used the alarm. But we found this problem when we returned from being out for several hours on Sat. The main dist panel for electricity was tripped. When I reset it, the alarm buzzer started, and I can't cancel it.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Neil replied 13 days ago.

This sounds like a faulty battery, does the keypad otherwise light up and work? If not then remove the power and battery and then repower with mains only (leave the battery off for now) and if everything is ok then you will need to get a new battery

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Neil,
I have tried your suggestion but it makes no difference. With the battery removed and powered by mains, I still get a continuous buzz on the external sounder. I should say also, that the keypad does not light up. The only lights showing are the red power light and the green 'day' light. If I enter my code some of the other lights start flashing until I enter the code again. Pressing Reset does not cancel the buzzing. Do you have any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was asked whether I want to have a call with you. If your next reply doesn't solve the problem I will take the phone call route, but you'd better suggest what time slots are available.
Expert:  Neil replied 12 days ago.

It sounds like the power cut has damaged the alarm controller... If the keypad no longer responds correctly with mains on and battery off then this indicates a problem in the controller itself, you may be able to claim the repair on your insurance as it is likely you may need a new controller...

If you refit the battery and close the control box does the keypad work properly?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Last week my bank account was debited with £3 followed by £22 totalling £25, which I accept.
Today another £34 has been taken from my account. Please explain why. I wasn't expecting this.
Expert:  Neil replied 5 days ago.

I am not part of the billing system, contact***@******.*** and include a link to this page and they will sort this out for you... I am sorry this has happened but the site will promptly refund any errors...

How did you get on with the alarm?