Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience of installing, troubleshooting, and manufacturing and repair of electronics.
30970729

I have a USB Pen Drive in the shape of a key, which snapped

Customer Question

I have a USB Pen Drive in the shape of a key, which snapped in my back pocket. I desperately need the documents on it. Is is game over or do I have a chance? Picture below.
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi John,

Yes, this is recoverable - the data will still be intact in the memory part of the pen drive, so you just need to get it reattached to the 4 gold connections - you can use long lengths of wire for this, the pen drive does not have to be restored to its original shape to recover the data.

This will be very intricate work, and if you are unable to do it yourself then a local electronics repair shop can do it for you.

Alternatively, you could send it to a data recovery center, however that is a more expensive option.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this,

Have a great weekend!

Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you talking about the 4 small contacts on the left or where it has snapped? I cannot see how I can connect to the snapped part.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

You should see 4 tiny gold connections on the large snapped off part, where it was previously connected to the 4 gold pads - try inspecting it under a magnifier. You will need to solder wires to those 4 tiny areas.