Louie, Customer Service
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My dvd recorder no longer responds to the remote control.the

Customer Question

my dvd recorder no longer responds to the remote control.the remote has been tested and is working o.k
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the DVD Recorder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DVD recorder no is HDD500 DMRXW 390
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

For every press of any buttons of the original Panasonic DMR-XW390's remote, what is shown/displayed on the unit's screen please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nothing works with the remote, it doesn't alter anything at all.I thought the batteries were down so replaced them and had the remote checked works o.k.fault must be in the unit itself.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

If the original Panasonic remote passed the (camera) test and yet does not control the Panasonic DMR-XW390; then yes, this would be an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects are:

• • cold solder (least likely);
  • • low or missing voltage to the remote IR sensor (likely);
  • • faulty IR (remote) sensor (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?