Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  Mechanic ASE cert tech for over 12 years, Auto, Marine and Home Electronics professional
20508815

Solenoids DIY If I am building two coils that are same

Customer Question

Solenoids DIY If I am building two coils that are same diameter and length one with 16 awg wire and one with 30 awg and run the same amount of current? Would The 16AWG Have a stronger Magnetic Field? To build the most powerful most economic solenoid I
should use a thin magnet wire as possible with many turns right, is there a limit on how wide the coil can be (will the outside's winding's electromagnetic field reach the core of solenoid ? Does it matter how long the length is? What is the best ratio of
coil push rod width (the core) to width of coil Would Dual coil solenoid be stronger than single coil that is twice as long with same width as the dual coil , or would it be the same?
Category: UK Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is using pure iron core (push rod) is much better than using stainless steel or the difference is not really noticed?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Using larger or smaller wire does not mean that it will increase power, in fact when the correct size wire is already used then going larger will generally have no effect unless power is changed for that requirement. Larger generally does mean strong in terms of magnet size however depending on how it is made sometimes smaller are more powerful. How many turns should not effect it. Length depends on what source of power and around the magnet or within entire circuit.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different things including the amount of the deposit/question value, time it was asked, the complexity of the question, number of experts that can help you at a certain time, lack of detailed info and so on. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you. I may not have exactly the experience to deal with a certain problem but instead of you not receiving any answer at all I would at least like to reach out and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to create a solenoid that will push 1cm with force of 200lbs. it has to be less than 3.5 inches in diameter. is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you didnt anwser any of my questions, my questions are very clear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if no one on justanswer is an expert in this field, ill go somewhere else
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I did answer some of your questions but not all, I answered the ones that I have the experience to provide an answer to. The others I did not try as I do not know such as the 200lb pull, since no other expert had assisted you in the 4hrs since you had posted your question I did the best I could as I hate to see a customers question sit and would rather do my best to assist them in any way I can even if I cannot answer all questions I do at least what I can as I do not like when a question sits it seems to some that no one is going to help them.

Thanks,

Joe