Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an lg 50pJ350. When watching anything with dark

Customer Question

I have an lg 50pJ350. When watching anything with dark background the oicture flickers and dims all the time..never goes completely black but najes it very difficult to watch. This is on normal freeview, Dvds or internet box.
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original one 5 years ago. But this was a replacememt after last one totally went (screen failed). This priblem been happening on and off for ages but getting worse
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Are all devices connected directly to the TV- or do they run through some sort of video switcher or home theater receiver?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I need you to pull up the MENU using the original LG remote and let me know if the MENU displays dark as well.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me here? The reason for asking about the MENU, is the MENU supersedes all external connections and settings. If ONLY the external devices appear dark then the TV's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced However if the MENU also appears dark, then you're looking at either the LED driver board (part of the power supply), or the LCD panel itself has once again failed and the TV would be deemed non-repairable.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What's ok? The MENU?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Meaning even when the screen goes dark- the MENU will still display bright and normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The menu. The tv is not always dark. It flickers and is really noticable ehen watching anything dark. It sometimes goes grey scale for a few seconds before coming back
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I understand that. What I am asking specifically is "WHEN" the TV is flickering....will pulling up the MENU display a clear, normal, pristine MENU image- OVER the flickering, or WILL the MENU also flicker along with the image behind it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never tried.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, without knowing that there's two possible causes- both are hardware related. In order to narrow it down further testing inside of the TV must be done. Your most likely cause is a failing LED driver board- and the next most common is a failing panel (screen). The issue will get worse and worse until the set is either repaired, or the screen goes completely black (no backlights). Average cost for this repair is about half of what the TV cost when new (if the power board is at fault), or is non-repairable if the screen itself is failing (as is what happened with the original set).

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Typically, now im waiting for it to flicker and it isnt!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Of course, that's how it always is when we want the TV to act up. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that the MENU will also flicker. You can respond back at any time though.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?