Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Repairing devices of UK and European make for over 20 years.
13568747

We try to wire a Bell system 801 door phone. We do not know which

Customer Question

Hi! We try to wire a Bell system 801 door phone. We do not know which cable goes where ... Do you have any good tips? :-) thanks
IROTZ and we have the following cables
This was the original order which does not work on the new phone.
Blue with white stripes
Yellow with blue stripes
Yellow with red stripes
Green with white stripes
Yellow with green stripes
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It is a shame you don't have the old door phone in place. The color-codes mean almost nothing at this point.If you have any knowledge of which wire goes to which part of intercom and lock etc., the IROTZ corresponds to: ***** ***** CallR - Speech Out (microphone)O - common or GroundT - Speech In (speaker)Z - Lock Do you know yet, which wires in the Bell 801 phone are I-R-O-T-Z ?if not, I can find that information. I would *guess*, that green with white stipes might be the O wire, or Ground. But that's a guess, only. One way of finding the ground (and perhaps others) if you have a voltmeter, would be to put the black probe on the chassis of the frame around the set of color-coded wires, then try for a wire (or wires) that register 0 on the meter... among them would be the Ground or 'O' wire on the phone. Is the wiring you have, in pairs? or are all the wires striped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately I do not have a voltmeter, and yes all wires are striped but not paired.
I - call
R- microphone
O-ring, speech
T- speaker
Z-lock
I have the old phone here, what info do you need?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russel, just bought a voltmeter can you tell me what to do?
Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Set the voltmeter to a range greater than 120 volts, DC volts not AC volts. Put the black probe firmly with the point touching the chassis or frame of the assembly (looking for a Ground connection there.)Put the red probe firmly onto the wire-ends, one at a time. Note the voltage read off of each wire, so as to match voltages to colors. Tell me what they are. It will help identify them. What was the old phone, maker and model # ***** mean? and do the wires on it match up to given colors of wires in the assembly we are matching the Bell phone up to? or is that matchup lost completely by now?