Louie, Customer Service
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Panasonic Viera TX32LXD52 TV. Mains power on gives

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Viera TX32LXD52 TV. Mains power on gives 4 seconds red light, relays on power board click in then red light blinks rapidly and continuously, no pattern. No picture or sound. Pressing remote (any button) causes red light to go solid whilst button is pressed then back to rapid (3 Hz ish) blinking. Any ideas? Phil.
Category: UK Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, would the gap/pause between red LED light be about 4 seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. The light is flashing rapidly and continuously about 3 times per second. No pauses. As I say it is solid red until the power relays click in and also goes solid red when any button on the remote is pressed. The screen remains dark. Thanks, Phil.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

The
TX32LXD52 model uses an LH41 chassis. Its Service Manual does not cover this error code and therefore would point to low or missing voltages from the power supply as the most likely suspect. The rationale is that even the systems diagnostics is not able to run correctly. Preliminary checks on the P-Board then, DC Power Supply.

As such, it would be an internal hardware issue. The unit would have to be opened up for visual inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? Prerequisite would be familiarity with electronic components, access to / comfortable in the use of a multimeter and even a soldering iron.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.
Louie, Customer Service
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do have extensive hobbyist repair capabilities but have usually worked with ham radio circuitry or laptop motherboards which I repair for friends. TVs are a new ball game for me, a friend asked me to look at this one. ( My normal work is as a General Medical Practitioner) I too could not find this blink code listed and wondered if anyone had come across this fault before to give me a place to start. Can cope with usual soldering plus hot air management of surface mount components. Have oscilloscope, ( old valve Solartron 50 MHz ) and multimeter. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have the service manual. Phil.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Great on the DIY.

As posted above, check the P-Board or have you tried running the Panasonic with the P-Board temporarily disconnected? Determine if symptom/blinking red light would persist.

The premise would be that a load (board) is causing high current, the power supply senses this and kicks in auto-protect. The P-Board would be 1 of the major power consumer hence first suspect in a process of elimination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P board appears to be working with 24v at the output. Disconnecting CN201 from the P board but leaving the high voltage connected causes the blink code to change to 5 red blinks then a pause indicating main 9V absent. I find this confusing ! Unfortunately I can't see what voltages should be on the various pins as the print is unreadable on the schematic even enlarging the pdf. The original rapid blinking returns on connecting CN 201. There don't appear to be any shorted components on the P board. Both Shottky diodes are ok. All capacitors look fine on all the boards. Phil
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
With CN201 removed, there is no +24 supplied to IC7401 hence no output SUB_9V.

With CN201 connected and attempting to turn on the TV, any readings on pin 1 (of CN201)?

Can the presence of the HV be confirmed? (with a neon test bulb does not even have to touch)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes there's 3 volts on pin 1, no HV apparent. I had a look ar the DG board as removing dg4 went back to the 5 blinks and found 1.3 ohms between TP085 and earth. Can this be correct? No obvious blown chips or capacitors. Phil
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
TP085? Isn't TP085 (together with TP086) audio signal test point?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience. My schematic (pdf) is almost unreadable when magnified enough to see voltages and test point numbers. No better printed. My concern is that an obvious power filter L055 has 1.3 ohms to ground. I wondered if this could be pulling the rail down or just maybe it is the correct value. It would imply a very high resting current through this without the chips own consumption. Phil
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Agree / possibly as normally, the lowest resistance to ground of an active line would be around 5Ω using an analog meter.

Might be a bit clearer. Please click HERE (limited time download link). It is in pdf format and would require Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent.

Of particular interest would be p. 48 for connector DG4 showing what voltage on what pin number.

Please post back readings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much for that downloadCustomer It's the same file as the one I have with the important difference that I can read it when it is enlarged !! Much better. It is TP 4085 that has 1.3 ohms to ground and should be 3.3 volts I now see. Suspect this cannot be correct. Phil.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
And is the 1.3Ω consistent even with DG4 disconnected?
  • • if yes, then desolder FL4024 and C4540. Test again;
  • if no, check back the AP board and remove AP1. Check again.

Please post back results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DG board completely disconnected. 1.3 ohms to earth on 3.3 v line, have disconnected input filter and capacitor but they are ok (so replaced) and rail remains 1.3 ohm to earth. Seems to be the main large chips ic 4057 etc which are low resistance. Board back in 3.3 volt rail is only reading about 0.25 volts and the main DG board chips are very hot? 9v and 5v rails at DG4 are fine. L4055 in particular is really cooking. Think I need a new DG board.? Or am I missing something? Thanks , Have isolated most sub circuits on 3.3 volt line by de-soldering their chokes and most are ok except both the ones which feed the large groups of main chips which are 1.8 or 2.3 ohms to earth. Phil.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

And agree, a new DG board would be more to your advantage.

Is one available from the source of the AP board?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The AP board came from Ebay - the previous one was dead and I suspect this is why the DG board is also dead ! I will see what I can find at a reasonable price. My concern is that the TV may be close to the edge of what it is worth spending on it ! Phil
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Phil,

Appreciate much the post back and the rating.

Might worth a look/inquiry; please click HERE.

73 from DU land.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that board as the price is excellent. We'll see if it solves the problem when it arrives. Thanks for all your help. Phil G4LPP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiCustomer I've just replaced the DG board (3.3v to earth should be 102 ohms !!) The 3.3v fuse then had to be replaced on the AP board and now the TV works. Thank you very much for your help and encouragement. Kind regards, Phil
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Phil,

Great! Glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Appreciate much the update and the earlier rating.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

73 from DU land.

This is not an Info Request.