Technicaldan
Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

Turns over fine but doent fire. A of easy start and it fires

Customer Question

Turns over fine but doent fire. A squirt of easy start and it fires right away and starts
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2.4 rear wheel drive 2004
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: For the passed week it has taken alot more cranking to get started. Changed my fuel suppy it didn't really help . Just didn't want to fire up today after driving starting and driving fine this morning about 20 miles. A small squirt of easy start in the air filter pipe and started no problem and drove fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this service charging dont want to look mean lol
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No answer yet whats going on ?
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 7 days ago.

Hi, are we talking about a transit van here or something else?

I could do with knowing a little more to assist you, if it is a Transit, whether it is a TDDI or a TDCI or the details and engine code off the VIN sticker in the passengers door frame.

Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 days ago.

Do you still need any help with this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
please been very busy with other stuff .My van is Transit 90 T(###) ###-####with 2.4 engine rear wheel drive . If i keep tank 3/4 to full the engine starts first time no bother but if it only half full its a struggle to get it started.
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 days ago.

The 90 is usually a good engine and doesn't generally suffer as many fuel system issues as say a 125 (both being tddi).

The description you give of needing to keep 3/4 a tank reminds me of my old transit van!

If there are no leaks in the supply side from the tank and the filter head is okay with no vacuum leaks, it does seem like you have checked this or in this case is unlikely.

My van had a crack in the pipe that goes from the in tank pick up and reservoir bowl at the bottom of the fuel sender unit up to the top of the unit, when the fuel level was above this, no issue, when it was below, symptoms as you describe with the fuel running back down to the tank.

If there is no fault in the supply side or in tank pick up, then it could the low pressure side of the vp30 diesel pump being unable to provide enough vacuum to pull the fuel through.

Around less than 1/8 full it's fairly easy to drop the tank and stay dry, I done mine on the floor, replacing the whole sender unit. let me know if you want a quick run through.