Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Have a 2007 2lt diesel galaxy. I went out the day before

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Hi have a 2007 2lt diesel galaxy. I went out the day before yesterday, got about 5 miles and lost the electrics. First the battery warning light came up on the dashboard and I lost the poser steering, then I lost everything. I managed to get home with the engine running badly. When I was home I turned off the ignition. When I tried to restart the car it was totally dead. I didn't have time to check anything as I had an appointment. When I treid to start the car again yesterday the dashboard lights came on, but when I turned the ignition I just got that horrible clicking noise to show that the battery is flat. I had a tow bar fitted two days before I had the problem. Do you think that this could have anything to do with it?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: To be honest I haven't had time. I'm not a great mechanic! Which ones should I check? Low ampage ones?
JA: What is the model of your '07 Ford?
Customer: It a Galaxy Ghia Tdci
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: To be honest Pearl I've not had time to look at it yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's all Pearl
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 month ago.
Hi there good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your concernOk from your description of the issue the fault lies with the alternator (not charging the battery )
As you lost electrics when driving what happens is as the battery isn't charging the vehicle uses what power is left in the battery and as it gets lower systems start dropping out ie :abs , power steering etc
Eventually if you continue driving it the vehicle will just die as it has no electrical power leftEven if you now jump start the vehicle it won't run long as there is no charge in the batteryIdeally you should charge the battery manually and get vehicle started and then check the charging voltage of the alternator it should be around 13.9-14.4 voltsBut in my experience you will need a new alternator to resolve this issue
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you
If you are satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this helps to build my online profile
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback is kindly appreciatedKindest regards ***** *****
Brian