Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Kia Cerato 2010 2 litre model (low KMs, about 60k) Loss of

Customer Question

Kia Cerato 2010 2 litre model (low KMs, about 60k) Loss of power. seems to occur on longer journeys maybe an hour or so into the journey (but also once in the city.)
JA: What is the model of your '10 Kia?
Customer: 2010 2 litre Kia cerato
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing myself, looking for more info before deciding what path to take.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: So faar let cool down for 10 mins and it goes OK after that. Not engine light or (over) heat light comes on, so it might not be a heating issue
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: no not yet
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 12 days ago.

When the issue occurs does the check engine light come on at all? Also, does it run rough like bucking or anything?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No engine light, Bucking yes.

Alright, theres a couple things that I would suggest to begin. First off you should get it scanned for trouble codes, even though the engine light is not on, there still could be a code in the system that would give you a good idea of what direction to head. The only thing that rings a bell to me as a common problem would be the oil control valves that control the timing of the continuously variable valve timing. That would cause what you are describing. Do you change your oil regularly, and use a kia oil filter? If not, change the oil and use a Kia oil filter. If so, there is an inspection procedure that I have attached that you could do to check the valves.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating 3 stars or more, or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.