Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I have an audi A6 3.0 tdi Quattro avant that is flattening

Customer Question

I have an audi A6 3.0 tdi Quattro avant that is flattening its battery enough over 24 hours to not be enough to start the car.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Done that, all very clean and dry , located in the boot.
JA: What year is your A6?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your A6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, put new discs and pads on front, as worn discs had rubbed through pad wires and the warning light was on all the time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Quite often the ignition will not turn off with the key.... leaves radio and dash lighting on. but when jiggled, it eventually all shuts down.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- it could the electrical part of the ignition switch But let see if that circuit is draining .

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

Lets start here

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

For A6: Remove green 30A fuse SB42 from fuse box instrument panel left (Figure 1). Reinstall the fuse after 30 seconds.

Please read below & click on the link to view diagram to see if you car vin falls in vin range of the cars effected & also location of the 30 amp fuse to try reset

2007 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan (4F2) V6-3.2L (BKH)

Save Article

90 Sporadically the ignition cannot be switched on 90 15 54(###) ###-####1 May 11, 2015

Zoom and Print Options

Vehicle Information

Condition

^ Customer reports that the ignition sporadically cannot be switched on.

^ One of the following conditions is found through guided fault finding (GFF):

^ DTC 00456 (Access/start control module -J518- no communication) is found in several control modules.

^ The access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05), identifies itself with implausible data (for example: O?O?O?O?O?O?)

Tip: If no communication is possible, activate the bus by switching on the hazard warning lights. It should now be possible to carry out a diagnosis.

Note:
If DTC 00288 (Steering column lock actuator-N360, faulty) is logged in the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05), this bulletin does not apply. Proceed according to GFF.

Technical Background

Incorrect software.

Production Solution

Optimized software.

Service

1. Reset the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05), by removing and reinstalling the 30 power fuse for the control module:

Zoom and Print Options

^ For A6: Remove green 30A fuse SB42 from fuse box instrument panel left (Figure 1). Reinstall the fuse after 30 seconds.

Zoom and Print Options

^ For Q7: Remove green 30A fuse SB10 from fuse box instrument panel left (Figure 2). Reinstall the fuse after 30 seconds.

After the reset, the ignition can be turned on.

2. Before proceeding, use ODIS to determine the hardware part number of the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05):

Zoom and Print Options

^ First, right-click Address 05, then click Control module OBD from the pop-up menu (Figure 3).

Zoom and Print Options

^ Next, in the OBD functions menu, select Identification, then click Perform (Figure 4).

Zoom and Print Options

^ Scroll to the bottom of the lower results window to see the software version and hardware part number (Figure 5).

3. ^ For model year 2009 - model year 2014 vehicles: Perform SVM update with code 05A005, following the instructions below.

^ For model year 2005 - model year 2008 vehicles:

^ If the hardware part number is ***** 4F0905852E, 4F0905852F, or 4F0905852H, perform SVM update with code 05A005, following the instructions below.

^ If the hardware part number is ***** listed above, do not perform the SVM update. Proceed to step 4.

Tip: In vehicles with hardware part numbers 4F0905852D or 4F0905852E, the permanent entry DTC 1314 (Engine control module (ECM) - no signal/communication) is logged in the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05). This entry is related to functions of the start/stop system that are not supported by this vehicle. The entry can be ignored, as it does not affect any functions. Further GFF is not necessary.

4. Replace the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05).

5. Check the software version in the new access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05). If the software version is under 0210, perform an update with SVM code 05A005, following the instructions below.

SVM Update Instructions

1. Follow all instructions in TSB(###) ###-#### 00 Software Version Management (SVM), operating instructions.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Update the access/start authorization control module, J518 (address word 05), using the SVM action code as listed in the table if necessary.

Zoom and Print Options

Warranty

Additional Information

The following Technical Service Bulletin will be necessary to complete this procedure:

^ TSB(###) ###-####00 Software Version Management (SVM), operating instructions.

All part and service references provided in this TSB (2040593) are subject to change and/or removal. Always check with your Parts Dept. and service manuals for the latest information.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat