mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

4wd problems, 99 tahoe, yes iam fixing it myself, i have

Customer Question

4wd problems
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 99 tahoe
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes iam fixing it myself, i have swapped out both the front axle actuator and the transfercase shift motor, but still the lights on the buttons just keep blinking and the fronta axle actuator wont move
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: all 2hi 4hi auto4 4low just keeps blinking
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nah
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  mike switzer replied 17 days ago.

when you take off the encoder motor at the transfer case can you shift it manually?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The transfercase and encoder motor works as they should, switching it into 4hi locks the axle going forewards from the transfercase and pressing 4lo puts it into lowrange, however the front axle actuator doesnt move and wont lock up the front diff
Expert:  mike switzer replied 16 days ago.

the actuators on these are common failures. I see you replaced it. was the replacement a used one or new? also another common failure is the switch on the dash itself as this is also the module for the 4wd system.

sorry for the delay had internet issues most of the day yesterday.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the actuator was replaced, i bought a brand new one. as for the dash switch itself i opened the switch i have and resoldered some of the contact points on the board as the solder was cracked, ill ask the local parts dealer if he has a new dash switch i could test out
Expert:  mike switzer replied 15 days ago.

the dash ch is the module not just a switch so chances are it is bad especially after soldering it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have been a bit busy the last couple of days, but i just got a hold of the service manual and got my transfercase scanned for codes and will try to follow the steps on the dtc's
Expert:  mike switzer replied 12 days ago.

since you said you had to solder contacts on the switch I would replace it. this are known failure points on these trucks and since you had a visual issue it should be replaced. but scanning the module is a good idea as well

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I just ordered a new switch, and i had the module scanned it had no current codes it only had these history codes