Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a Kia Sorento 2.5 diesel 2004. everything was working

Customer Question

Good day, I have a Kia Sorento 2.5 diesel 2004. everything was working perfectly. Then the problems started: it wouldn't start and had to give it a running start, once it got going it went like a bomb. Took it to a friend who is a mechanic and overhauled the diesel pump, replaced the fuel flow sensor & fuel flow metering rod/shaft, and put in a non return valve in the fuel line from the fuel tank (?). We reset the computer to get it out of limp mode and it started as normal but had no power above 2000 rpm (as though it was still in limp mode). Took it to the dealers for diagnostics, injector and turbo test - no problem there but shows engine not getting enough fuel - Where to now?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: are you saying set an appointment with a kia mechanic?
JA: No. I'm the Kia Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: problem is I'm in South Africa - where are you located?
JA: What year is your Sorento?
Customer: In Centurion, Gauteng province
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to a friend who is a mechanic and overhauled the diesel pump, replaced the fuel flow sensor & fuel flow metering rod/shaft, and put in a new diesel filter and water trap as well as a non return valve in the fuel line from the fuel tank.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: no i'm not fixing it myself since we had to do diagnostic tests
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes checked the fuel rail, it's ok
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the fuel lines leading from the fuel tank have not been checked for being kinked or damaged in any way this needs done.If a fault is found with any of the fuel lines this will need repaired to resolve this fault here.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete