Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

My mum has a Skoda, the glow plug light has started flashing

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My mum has a Skoda, the glow plug light has started flashing and drains battery
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: its the glow plug light and keeps flashing
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Skoda Fabia scout 2012
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, the dealer has replaced earth strap / reset relay switch and fitted new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi .

When the glow plug light starts to flash or stay on solid when the engine is running this is telling you the engine management system has found a malfunction with in the system.

A good shop will have the needed diagnostic scan tool to check for codes ,from the codes you will then know what the issue is .

Now i've no idea what your shop found in codes and why he change the parts you listed .

I take it you are still having the same problem as before ,even after the dealer replaced the said parts .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating this issue .
Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi fault code ECU
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the actual code ,will be a PXXXX type code .

For example P0300 which is a misfire code .

Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We phoned our recovery company "again" who came out and performed the following diagnostic check to the ECU and found the following - Trouble code PO68600 description ECM/PCM power relay control cir
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Okay this is the Engine control relay code for a low circuit malfunction .(Wire short to earth)

Now if the relay was replaced and still having the same problem then the wiring harness from the relay to the ECM will have to be checked and repaired if bad ,

If wiring harness connectors are all good then this leaves a bad ECM internally .

What is known is for the relay harness shorts out so have the harness checked well.

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been quoted£1000 does this seem right?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Wow , now thats a bit high .

I suggest you try another repair shop that is fitted out to work on Skoda ,VW/AUDI .

Or even better check EBay you can get them from £50 up .

Then you just need a shop to reprogram the ECM to your car which will be another £100..

Chat a few shops up and get some quotes .

Rgds Greg