sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2004 diesel transit bought with light accident damage to

Customer Question

2004 diesel transit bought with light accident damage to front. running fine when loaded on truck. started fine when unloaded and test driven for 2 miles running sweet. following day started but only ran for half mile then cut out. Plenty of fuel, now cranks but wont start? Doesn't appear to have inertia switch fitted.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a no start condition. You may be missing fuel, it cloud be a fuel quality concern, an exhaust restriction, or there are a number of electrical issues that can be preventing it to start. You could have a cam or crank sensor issue, wiring, it could be the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see if the ECM will communicate, and if it does to see if any fault codes are set. Data may also need to be monitored if there are no codes set.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is plenty of fuel in the van and was running fine with no issues until it just cut out about 2 minutes into journey. Is cranking over fine but will not fire or start.
I have had it hooked up to an OBD diagnostics computer but there are no error codes showing?
Is there a fuse or relay for the fuel pump that I can check?
I've looked for inertia switch but there doesn't appear to be one fitted.

Does the engine controller actually communicate then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was coming up with "communication established" once ignition was turned on. Then on clicking OBD it was showing as no codes found

Did you look at any data then? You need to be looking at crank RPM, cam/crank sync, and rail pressure to start.