sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Ford Fusion 2 1.4 petrol 55 reg Engine wont start when hot,

Customer Question

Ford Fusion 2 1.4 petrol 55 reg
Engine wont start when hot , EAC shows a failure after turning over
If I wait for 40 seconds it starts again and runs well
This will also happen if I switch the engine off with the throttle down, Again if I leave it for while it restarts no problem
In normal conditions when the engine turns over it doesn't start instantly . It takes a couple of turns
Any ideas ?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A hot restart issue is often caused by vapor lock due to a weak fuel pump check valve.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting in the engine controller. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Have not checked codes
Where's the fuel pump valve to check ?
C

THe check valve is internal to and serviced with the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the valve is with the fuel pump which is located with the fuel gauge sender in the fuel tank ?
So the tank has to be removed to gain access to the pump ?

The check valve is part of the fuel pump assembly. The fuel level sending unit (sender) is also on the pump assembly. The tank needs to be removed to access the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay
Thanks for that, What am I looking for on the valve that's not working or how do I test it ?
I assume I will have to change it or is it a serviceable item ?
Or do I order a new pump and sender and change the whole assembly
Cheers

There isn't anything you'll be able to see and it isn't something that you can access or replace. Fuel pressure bleedoff testing would need to be done with a pressure gauge and T hose installed at the engine, if fuel is leaking back through the pump then the fuel pump assembly will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay I can make a up some pipes to pressure test the system . That's better than stripping it down and finding its okay
So I'm not looking to gauge the pressure, I'm looking to see if I'm loosing it very quickly when engine is switch off ?
C

The best thing to do would be to install a pressure test T hose at the fuel rail inlet, warm the engine and immediately clamp the line with pinch off pliers when the engine is shut off. When restarting you would remove the pliers and immediately start the engine. If it starts easier then the pump needs to be replaced.