Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My 2005 Isuzu ascender gear shifter is stuck, it looks like

Customer Question

my 2005 Isuzu ascender gear shifter is stuck, it looks like its in park the cluster says reverse and I cannot start my car
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2005 and know haven't checked the brake switch
JA: Are you fixing your Ascender yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to and have not tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the actual shifter shows reverse but it is in park this can be due to a fault with the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch itself.I have seen this switch assembly fail in the past before and cause issues like this here needing replaced.This will have to be checked/tested further to see if for sure this is the cause here and then from there replaced to resolve this fault.This is usually the most common cause for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete