Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2004 Mini JWC's Key Fob Is Not Working.

Customer Question

2004 Mini JWC has completed 44,000 miles and the key fob does not work. I replaced the batteries in fob, it tests good at parts store. Both red lights come on when buttons pressed. I have tried to reprogram using 4 different methods on web all different no luck.
Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Does the console lock/unlock button work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I shut car off and pull key car does not unlock I need to use center console button to unlock door
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Is the issue the same with both keys?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only tried 1 key other key does not have unlock button so I had no program procedureally for that but it does not lock doors when lock pressed
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
What is the last 7 digits of the VIN of the car?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hold on 1
td74504
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Locking is controlled by the body control unit on this vehicle. The possible failures in this case are the remote receiver and body control unit.
The key is also suspect until it has been tested by bmw as well, but less likely.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know the body control unit works because the center console switch works. Where is the remote receiver on my car and is this a common failure on minis? I have not been able to verify that via the internet at all. I believe this is a programming of the key issue and have seen at least 3 different methods not including the method in manual that have not worked. Very frustrating, any other ideas?