Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

In my van engine (a Peugeot 1.6 HDTi), the sump is filling

Customer Question

In my van engine (a Peugeot 1.6 HDTi), the sump is filling up with diesel fuel and diluting the lubrication oil. It must be leaking in from somewhere but the fuel pump and high pressure pump are external to the engine, as are all the fuel pipes. (The HP pump is belt driven and the fuel pump is electric, so no fuel can enter that way).The amount of fuel getting into the sump is around 1 litre per 10 miles or more, and has got worse since the garage fitted new injectors and common rail and associated pipe work to try to cure it.
The engine has done 90K and has a Cat so there is no DPF to cause fuel to leak into the engine.
The engine has plenty of power and doesn't smoke unduly.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the system was not tested to see if the control unit/ecu is sending a signal to keep an injector wide open this needs done.This will cause an injector to overfuel like this here and the control unit/ecu would need replaced.I have seen this occur before on some models.If this was checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete