Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Clio wont start, all coils and censors checked and changed.

Customer Question

Good evening, clio wont start, all coils and censors checked and changed. no joy
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes all checked. had ecu unit changed but got same result. just purchased another ecu and relay but it came without a key. Will it work if key reader not changed and otiginal key used?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Renault Clio 1.4 8v 1999
JA: What year is your Renault?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mechanic has changed the coils, the crankshaft censor, the starter motor, the battery and terminal conectors, fuses. He says there is no spark going to the plugs but the coils are working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: will another ecu and relay work with the original key and keyreader?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The key and key reader usually need programmed/calibrated to operate with a new ecu.This may be the cause here with this ecu needing programmed.On some models the key and reader need replaced as well to match the ecu installed or programmed to the ecu after replacement.

I would also have the wiring checked on the engine leading to the coils and ecu to see if any wiring faults are found needing repaired or replaced for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete