Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Thanks. I have a noisy clutch that makes a grinding type

Customer Question

Hi, thanks. I have a noisy clutch that makes a grinding type sound when I depress it and it smells like its burning and then it shudders when I take off too I read on a reputable forum that another guy had the same problem and he had to replace the clutch
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: no not slipping or sticking well the car has 160,000 kms about 100,000 miles but I don't know if its the original clutch
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: peugeot(###) ###-####4 door XR I think
JA: Are you fixing your 207 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: or XT
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. I was gonna check the oil in the gearbox cause I heard that could be a problem I just stopped using it when I smelt the burning and the grinding noise started happening
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Hi..there..

Going by what you have said it certainly sounds symptoms of a failing release bearing or pressure plate,the burning will be the friction plate,might not be fully releasing properly when you depress the clutch,and any excess heat can damage the flywheel..in which case means a new 3 part clutch kit to be fitted....low gearbox oil would normally cause gear slection issues whether it be with the engine on or off usually..but when a new clutch is installed it will require the gearbox to be topped with oil anyway..as some will be lost during the removal of the gearbox itself..I do hope this helps