Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Have an ML320 Petrol engine - 2000 Model with about 88K

Customer Question

Hi All , Have an ML320 Petrol engine - 2000 Model with about 88K miles on the clock, I only do about 5K miles a year on it and have had it for 6 years now . Recently I changed the Master cyclinder and the position crank sensor and some tyres . but otherwise it is bullet proof car. Recently the car developed a problem where on pressing the accelerator there is no response and then the car shudders and then cuts out due to no power , especially under low RPM or standing. The mechanic changed the MAF and then cleaned the throttle housing thoroughly . However today same problem twice and check engine light is back on again. I will take it back but any ideas on cause ??
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it happens intermittently , on restart car drives normally
JA: What year is your ML320?
Customer: 2000 ML 320 petrol
JA: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it goes to a mechanic - Changed MAF and throttle housing , car has previously had new master cylinder and position crack sensor replaced .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done of course here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.I have seen issues with a weak fuel pump intermittently cause this issue as well as the throttle actuator intermittently act up and cause this fault here.These are the most common causes.But having the codes checked will help in locating and repairing this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete