Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Will not start, all is ok, 2003 nissan x-trail 2.2 dci, it

Customer Question

will not start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: all is ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2003 nissan x-trail 2.2 dci
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it had camaxel sensor malfunction. Changed it , still not starting. It can start after 15-20 tries.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New glow plugs, new camaxel sensor, new flywheel sensor, new diesel filter
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
it starts while pushed
Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

Hello

1st check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The startmotor is cranking and the motor is turning.It can take 15 times with glowing before starting.
New ground wire is put in orginal part.Battery is new. No corrotionThe nissan dealer said that the camaxel sensor has an error. So we have changed that. Cleared the ertor code. But still problem to start.New glow plugs and the voltage is 11.9 v on themCan it be the glowrelay that does not give enough amp?
Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

OK

thanks for the extra information

I'd agree to check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The glow plugs are new. New orginal earth engine strap. The fuse is okI can not hear the relay clicks when it turn on the ignition. But it clicks when i shut the ignition off.I will messure the glow plugs tomorrow.But is there a way to messure the glow relay? Because i messure 11.9 volts at the glowplug with the ignition on
Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

hello

the best way to measure the electrical aspect is to measure the current draw as voltage won't give all the picture

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Expert:  Matt replied 15 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you