Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

2010 Gt R. Steering not locked but it won't start. The

Customer Question

2010 Gt R . Steering not locked but it won't start. The instrument panel and all the lights come on, the steering unlocks but nothing else. The key symbol in the bottom right corner stays on after I switch the car off
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: All the warning lights in the instrument panel as they alwayys do when I switch it on. The ***** *****ght in the bottom most right corner comes on after I have tried the strt button a couple of times. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it after 20 mins. The car started but hasn't since and I have left the battery disconnected over night
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing other than disconnecting the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is possible that this is a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself needing replaced intermittently not sending the correct signals to start the vehicle or a fault with a component like the starter itself needing replaced.These will have to be checked/tested further to help locate which is at fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hello Pete.
The problem that I have described includes the key symbol illuminating after the start button is pressed and remaining on for a period after the car is switched off. With respect the answer that you have given is nothing more than a generalisation and hasn't taken the original question on at all
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

O.k.,since this is push button start have you tried to start with a second/different key in your possession at all?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have tried both keys. I have also disconnected the battery for s period. The car started once afterwards but not since. I have tried disconnecting again but to no avail
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set in all computers?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have had the RAC out to the car today. They said that there are no faults showing - sounds incredible. I contacted you because I thought it might have been something you had come across before.
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

I havent come across this myself before.Let me open your question up for others here to see if anyone else has seen this issue and can help here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete