Technicaldan
Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

My 2013 XC60 has a problem, if I am in stop/start traffic I

Customer Question

My 2013 XC60 has a problem , if I am in stop/start traffic I take my foot off the brake to roll forward and something 'sticks but then shoots forward quite violently. its quite unpleasant and is putting me off the vehicle. Dealers have looked at it 3 times cant find any fault.went out with the engineer but of course it didn't do it once ! trally annoying
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: My 2013 XC60 has a problem , if I am in stop/start traffic I take my foot off the brake to roll forward and something 'sticks but then the vehicle shoots forward quite violently. its quite unpleasant and is putting me off the vehicle. Dealers have looked at it 3 times cant find any fault.went out with the engineer but of course it didn't do it once ! trally annoying
JA: Are you fixing your XC60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no its under warranty so goes back to the dealers each time. I had a major service on the car 3 weeks ago but still the annoying jerking forward
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: they have done software updates, made no difference
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 28 days ago.

Hi, as you have the dealers looking at it already, all I can do is offer an example of a similar fault I had when working as a main dealer technician for a uk manufacturer.

I had an automatic (cvt) car in, it seemed to drive and change gears okay other than after braking.

The customer reported a abrupt jerk away when taking their foot off the brake pedal and on to the accelerator in traffic, that didn't seem to present when I drove the vehicle.

After some hunting and head scratching, I found that one of the flexi brake hoses had partially internally collapsed, it was allowing fluid under pressure into the caliper, however the slight internal collapse meant that the fluid pressure could not easily return from the caliper and this had the effect of holding the brake on that wheel and slowly releasing it as the pressure reduced.

I couldn't easily measure the pressure applied to the pedal, so I used a large piece of blu tak on the pedal, when I braked the blu tak was hardly deformed, after the customer had operated the pedal a few times in the car park, the blu tak was almost flat and adhered to the pedal rubber, the customer had a fairly hefty press on the pedal which amplified the fluid retention fault caused by the flexi hose.

Sorry I can not give you a specific answer remotely but I hope this gives you something to consider.