gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I've got a combo van c 05 I had my ignition barrel change

Customer Question

Hi I've got a combo van c 05 I had my ignition barrel change last week and my aftermarket radio now doesn't work when the lights are turned one the back light flash but wouldn't power up
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 25 days ago.

So the radio will work, but when you turn the lights on it will shut off?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No nothing works. It dose come on with the welcome badge when you turn the key but then gose off when the van is started.

If you just turn the key to the run position without starting, will it load fully and start working? There are two circuits, and a load reduction relay that cuts the accessories off when you start the car, then allows them to be repowered once it is in the run position.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No it just ppwets just say welcome the turns off again. I did try to swap the red and yellow wires round as I have done in the pass with my pass vauxhall and there still no change.

It sounds to me more like the radio has died- either just a coincidence, or they did something when they were in there replacing the ignition. Did they just replace the mechanical portion of the barrel, or the ignition switch as well? There is a circuit built in there that should power the radio. Is the radio spliced into the wiring, or does it have a "plug and play" harness that hooks up to the stock radio harness?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
They just replaced the barrel it self. It's a plug and pay harnesse I've spliced into to swap the cables round. I'll get hold of the suppler of the radio as it's not a year old and still under warranty.Thanks for your helpThanks james
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 24 days ago.

They should be able to just plug the radio in and power it up as well, to see if it is operating properly.

If it still is, then you may need to check for power on the supply wire to the radio, and see if it cuts out after you turn the key to the run positiion