Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Can communication fault codes engine control error codes for

Customer Question

Can communication fault codes engine control error codes for Anti-Theft device Can communication Errrors to ABS/ASR/ESP OBD system test Error message basically system is not Communicating at all also effecting Can Communication to instrument Cluster Spoke to Auto Electrician and he said I need to take it to Fords to Wipe the System and start again
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: All the Fault Codes L have Spoken of appear on an AA Diagnostic report made the other day
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Ford Focus MK2 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Unable to do anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The AA have reset the system but the faults returned within an hour
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 month ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response ,
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk I assume the Immobilsor light is flashing out flash code 16 (no crank )
What engine is fitted to this vehicle ie1.6 petrolJust to confirm you cannot connect to any modules on can bus lines
and the fault is erratic /intermitent
Kindest regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CODE 16 HAS APPEARED WITH MANY OTHERS IT ALL STARTED ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO WITH ONLY THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT COMING ON I USED A SCANNER THAT I HAD JUST PURCHASED IT INDICATED MISFIRE NO1 CYLINDER THIS WAS CHECKED OUT AT MY GARAGE THEY REPLACED THE COIL PACK ,LEADS AND SPARK PLUGS WHICH WORKED HOWEVER TWO DAYS LATER THE SAME FAULT REAPPEARED AND I HAVE CANCELLED IT ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS FROM THERE OTHER FAULTS APPEARED ON DASHBOARD LAST WEEK WHERE EVERY SYSTEM HAS BEEN AFFECTED
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nO THANKS IT WOULD NOT HELP I HAVE BEEN TOLD A TOTAL RESET WOULD BE REQUIRED FROM FORD WOULD YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TP HOW MUCH THIS WOULD COST
Hi thanksyour fault description is most commonly caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster
The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between themOn nearly everytime I have came across the instrument cluster is the cause of the issue And from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault
This seems to be more common on the esrlyfocus Varients for some reason andThe instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )
The can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicleI have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yoursCustomers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main immobilsor componentThe fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the internal circuit board )In my experience of this fault I would suspect an internal cluster fault but always advise having the diagnostic fault code check done firstly
If you need anymore help or advice going forward please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Any positive feedback /bonuses are greatly appreciatedBrian
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 13 days ago.

Hi there good evening to you

How did you get on with our starting issue

Kindest regards ***** *****
Brian