Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2016 C Class saloon. The left door mirror got

Customer Question

I have a 2016 C Class saloon. The left door mirror got knocked and now the whole wing mirror housing does not swing backwards and forwards correctly. I want to get to the motor assembly in the base of the wing mirror unit. I've dis-assembled the cover, mirror plate and wiring loom, but the top half of the internal housing wont release from the steel hollow mirror post. Any ideas? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try this,hold the mirror housing assembly in place and operate the switch that folds them and see if it clicks and locks back into place.In some cases it becomes knocked out of place and this can sometimes correct this here.If this was already attempted or does not work let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Pete, many thanks indeed for your suggestion. Did try setting the mirror housing as you suggested this morning but want to try it and look at it in daylight, when I have a few mins to spare. The mirror doesn't hold its setting for more than a couple of times when I push it back with no power, so am curious to see if setting the mirror in reverse as it were, is a good fix. Fingers crossed and will answer tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks, Julian
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Great! Your idea works, mostly. I've held the mirror in place during the outward swing about 6 times. It's much better, but there is still some 'play' in rotation, which results in the mirror housing not quite aligning correctly with the curve of the base. (it's a lease car and will be inspected when it goes back). If there's a cam on a spindle in the motor housing, it might be a little loose, and getting into the motor housing was my original problem. Do you know how to do this? 8.5 out of 10 so far. Tks, Julian
Expert:  Pete replied 29 days ago.

I dont show the exact components on how this one operates but usually it is a cam/gear and spindle that it rides on.There may be some damage to these components that has occurred and in some cases they cannot be replaced separately and have to be replaced as a complete mirror assembly.I apologize and which I had a diagram of this here to post but unfortunately my info is not showing these internal components.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Pete, apologies for not replying sooner but have been away overseas and was locked out of my email account for some reason. Unfortunately, the mirror unit is not holding it's position. I'll have to have to have another go at disassembly myself I guess, if you don't have the answer. There must be some way to get access to the motor/cam. Tks anyway.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete