Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
3827149

I have a clunking sound coming from underneath the car. Have

Customer Question

I have a clunking sound coming from underneath the car. Have replaced all suspension bushes and fitted a returned steering rack. Noise is still there. Could it be the universal joint on the lower shaft?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Feels like its coming from the seaside front. Been going on for roughly 3 months. Occasionally feels like its under my feet. This is on a UK spec car
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2006 300c CRD saloon
JA: Are you fixing your Saloon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been using local mechanic. Replaced pretty much everything except upper control arm
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

It is very possible that this is an issue with the control arm bushings as these can wear and cause this fault here.I would have the upper control arm bushings inspected closely for any cracks,twisting or wear indicating that they or the control arms need replaced.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have replaced all the control arm bushings. It does say this in the original message.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Were stabilizer bar bushings or links replaced at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
replaced ALL suspension bushes. Shuts and slings are okay as well
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Does the clunk occur when turning side to side or when going over bumps?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Going down a road that doesn't appear to have any major bumps. Not when turning. If I do hit a bump sometimes you hear it otherwise not.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Were struts replaced as well as the strut mounts?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

This is a difficult one for me to diagnose myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 1 month ago.
Have you check to see if the exhaust hanger possibly fell off and its the exhaust hitting the body of the car over bumps? Try taking your foot and make sure the car is cold to avoid burns and move the exhaust back and fourth up and down from the muffler let me know if you here any clunks. If not it can very well be in the universal joint if this was not changed.