Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Mazda BT 50 2012 model with plus minus 130,000Km oil

Customer Question

Good Morning, My Mazda BT 50 2012 model with plus minus 130,000Km oil light came on and the next minute the engin siezed!
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The oil light on the dash
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nope, the engine was stripped by a outside mechanic, I then decided to send the BT to a Mazda outlet to refit all the loose parts and bought new what ever they required, the engin was reasemble and fitted, my old block was used, on the test run the same thing happened and the engin siezed again (to clarify the oil light iluminated again and the engin siezed again)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know if it was the block please as all the other spares were bought new from Mazda
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Can you give me a list of all parts replaced please .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oil pump, Bearings, Cyl gasket, Valve seals, Bolts, Gasket (L), Temp maste, Gasket exh, Gasket oil, all purchased by Mazda.
First time around I was told the oil pump disintegrated, second time after assembled by Mazda agian oil pump falure
Thank you
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Okay thank you, ***** ***** i can do to help with this one , so i will open it back up for another Mazda expert to check out

for you .

Kindest regards Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The oil light on the dash
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried sofar?
Customer: Nope, the engine was stripped by a outside mechanic, I then decided to send the BT to a Mazda outlet to refit all the loose parts and bought new what ever they required, the engin was reasemble and fitted, my old block was used, on the test run the same thing happened and the engin siezed again (to clarify the oil light iluminated again and the engin siezed again)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know if it was the block please as all the other spares were bought new from Mazda
26 October 2016 12:1526 October 2016 01:04
Greg Greg
UK Auto Mechanic
Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Rgds Greg.26 October 2016 01:04
Greg Greg
UK Auto Mechanic
Can you give me a list of all parts replaced please .Greg26 October 2016 01:34
Thank you
26 October 2016 06:18
Greg Greg
UK Auto Mechanic
Okay thank you, ***** ***** i can do to help with this one , so i will open it back up for another Mazda expert to check outfor you .Kindest regards Greg
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

another expert here

I'd say its quite possible the block or crank was damaged by the 1st incident

engine assembly needs a lot of careful measurement so were the crank journals measured for roundness? was the crank checked for straightness, was the block line bored and oversized main bearing fitted?

I'd say the most cost effective repair would be to source a good used engine as a direct replacement and fit that

either that or get an engine shop to tackle the rebuild

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the feedback. On the thirst failure the crank was send to the engineers and it was polished as according to them there was not much damage. Standard bearings Mains and Big ends were fitted. Note, I gave the block to Mazda for refitting and assemble the engine. Spares required purchased by Mazda and paid by me. The block was not tested and could this be the cause of the second failure as well ? My problem is that the vehicle has only done plus minus 130,000Km from new ? In the first instance the Oil pump disintegrated, the second time around when the vehicle was test running the oil pump failed again! Please can you explain to me what could have gone wrong in the block? (In the first instance the vehicle was just started from cold, the oil light illuminated and within a minute the engine seized. All of this I have explained to the mechanic at Mazda.) Mazda has stripped again and believe it could be the block, but cannot be sure. What could have gone wrong on the block bearing in mind, low kilos, no need to have the crank cut, new oil pump, standard bearings etc etc. I just need to understand as this is costing a lot of money now.
Thanks again.
Expert:  Matt replied 25 days ago.

Hello

sorry for not replying earlier, for some reason the system wasn't showing you had replied

I suspect that the 1st failure with the lack of oil pressure may have warped the crank or the block so the block will need a line bore with over sized shells to put it all back straight again

this can be checked if you use some 'plasti gauge' to measure bearing clearances on each main bearing and confirm that they are all the same within 0.015mm

Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you