sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Freelander auto. It will only start

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Freelander auto. It will only start intermittently, other times i turn the key and get 1 click or no sound at all. Leave it for an hour and it starts. Had new starter motor but no difference
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Either park or neutral it matters not. Unsure what you mean by wheel lock feature
JA: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No garage and becoming very expensive. Has had new starter motor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When new motor was fitted it seemed to work well but not for long.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A single solid click from the engine compartment is the starter engaging but the starter motor doesn't actually run to crank the engine. Possible causes would be the starter and connections, a poor engine ground or positive feed to the starter, or possibly the signal to the solenoid going away, but that wouldn't be likely.

Where did the starter come from?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure about the starter as supplied by the garage which i trust and have used for 20 years .It has 2 year warranty. Bit of an update, if I keep the key turned forward and then move the gearstick between P and N it seems to start.Inhibitor?
If you're able to reliably get it to start that way then you have a transmission range sensor issue.