Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have an 2002 2.3 manual galaxy,which wont crank/fire like

Customer Question

I have an 2002 2.3 manual galaxy,which wont crank/fire like the wrong key is being used, although it was fine when left last week. RAC man says the immob is active, and needs main dealer investigation.Could the keys just need to be reassociated with the car and how is this done?
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: not really..its the same for the second key so the keys themselves I don't think are the problem..
JA: What is the model of your '02 Ford?
Customer: 2.3 petrol manual
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, just checked fuses, reset the electrics by disconnecting the batt for a couple of minutes..the rac Tech triad all this but still no go..the red led in the drivers door should flash I think when the immob is disarmed...its not though.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: this happened once years ago, and its been ok ever since..
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is very possible the keys need reprogrammed to your model here.This is done by a dealer.But it is also possible that the key itself is faulty needing replaced as it may not be sending the signal needed here or that the immobilizer that reads the key is at fault needing replaced.You would have to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set with this issue here using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers.Then from there those codes diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.
Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Pete,
I have spent more time lookiing into this problem, and I can advise;
Both keys work the alarm/c locking, so keys do not need reprogramming to the alarm.
The RAC engineer got the starter motor to turn the engine over by overriding the crank relay, so starter/battery are eliminated.
I get the same effect whether the coil on the barrel of the lock is there or not...the LED in the door acts the same.
Im sure the LED used to flash when the key was inserted in the lock, and turned to ignition on position, like it was a ready to start indication, it does not flash at this point ..
I cannot hear the fuel pump starting at ignition on position either, which leads me to beleive the immob is active..
I understand you cannot change any component in the immobiliser system ie transponder,ecu, fuel pump as they are all interrogated by the immobiliser to ensure they are the correct units before allowing the engine to start?
The RAC engineers laptop had a communication error problem wit the immob,so everything is pointing that way, although I have heard reports on other forums of the fuel pump and crank relays giving problems as well...
If you can help at all with diagnosis from this point please do, especially if you have any other suggestions or can give a firm diagnosis, other than that Im afraid your input has not helped me at all...you havent given me any more info than I already know..
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Is it possible to see if another computer/scan tool can be plugged into your model and communicates with the immobilizer just to rule out a scan tool/computer issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im hoping to get a SUN diagnostic tool connected and see what that says..
but cant do it until maybe next week..if anybody else can add any info on what the led should do in a normal working car Id appreciate it just to confirm if Im barking up the wrong tree..;))
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

There may be others here that can help further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete